Being more daring doesn’t have to mean doing big huge things that scare you half to death. It doesn’t have to mean jumping out of a plane, buying questionable stocks, or auditioning for a reality TV show. Daring is in each one of us, and it can and should start small! Begin by simply doing a few things each day (or each week) that you wouldn’t normally do. After all, isn’t that what being daring is?
Here are six tips you can use to live a more daring life in small ways. When you get used to small steps, you can then take larger ones.
Are You Ready?
- Take the road less traveled. That’s right – go off in a direction you normally wouldn’t. Explore. You never know what you might find! Be okay with getting lost, and have confidence you can find your way back home again. You’ll find this an exhilarating exercise, and it’s a great way to appreciate what you have around you.
- Try to see things from another person’s perspective. If you find yourself not agreeing with someone’s opinion, that’s okay. But try to see the situation from their perspective with their opinion. This is mind opening! You don’t have to change your mind – that’s not the point of the exercise. The point is that you have the ability to open your mind to ideas and opinions that differ from your own.
- Talk to people you don’t know. At the coffee shop, while shopping, while standing in line at the bank… seek out opportunities to have conversations with new people. They’ll appreciate it, and the more you do it, the easier it will become!
- If you think of something daring – even slightly daring – to do, and your mind immediately tells you no, make a conscious decision to turn that around into a yes. One of the ways through fear is to realize that what you’re considering doing won’t kill you, so what’s there to fear?
- Let yourself be okay with doing something you feel guilty about doing. Maybe it’s a Netflix marathon or a quart of your favorite ice cream. The point being – if it’s not hurting anyone, and it’s not hurting you, just go and do it!
- Challenge your limits, every single day. Even if you do this in the slightest of ways, the consistency will begin to change your outlook, and those things you found daring before won’t seem like such a big deal.
You’ll be amazed at what you can accomplish in life if you try to be just 10% more daring than you are now! Doors will open and opportunities you never imagined will present themselves. Give it a try and see for yourself!