If you asked me what I could eat over and over again, it would have to be chicken thighs. They’re so incredibly versatile, full of flavor, and absolutely delicious. Give me thighs over breast any day.
These baked chicken thighs are simply but deliciously flavored with honey, mustard, and garlic — you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry right now. The sweetness of the honey pairs perfectly with the mellow savoriness of garlic. I love honey garlic anything and these mustard with honey garlic thighs are perfection. If you’re looking for something different, there are some other flavor suggestions further down.
How long to bake chicken thighs?
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs: Bake at 425°F for 18-20 minutes.
- Bone in skin on chicken thighs: Bake at 425°F for 25-30 minutes if properly tempered.
- Bone in skin on chicken thighs: Bake at 425°F for 35-40 minutes if they’re coming right out of the fridge.
You want to bake them until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, or until the juices run clear. Chicken thighs come in all sizes and thickness, so it’s best to get an instant read thermometer to make sure that they reach 165°F.
How to bake chicken thighs
For the juiciest oven baked chicken thighs you need bone in, skin on thighs. Baking in a hot oven helps crisp up the skin and the bone keeps the meat moist and juicy.
- Pat dry. Use a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to dry the skin of your chicken. You want a dry surface so that it can crisp up. Moisture is the enemy of crispiness.
- Season. Place the thighs in a bowl and add the sauce, which has a bit of oil. The oil helps conduct heat which makes the skin crispy and the seasoning in the sauce adds flavor.
- Bake. The best way to bake thighs is skin up in a roasting pan or baking dish. Bake the thighs at 425°F for about 25-30 minutes, or just until the internal temp reaches 165°F.
The secret to super juicy chicken thighs is tempering
Tempering is just taking the chicken out of the fridge and letting it sit on the counter in a cool spot. It will give you the juiciest, most properly cooked chicken you’ll ever eat. Taking the chill off your chicken equals evenly cooked meat. If you cook chicken straight from the fridge when it’s cold, the outside of the chicken will cook faster than the inside, giving them potential to dry out.
The best thing to do is prep your chicken, let them temper/marinate for about 10-15 minutes, then turn on the oven. Your chicken should be tempered by the time your oven is ready.
Bone in skin on vs. boneless skinless
This recipe suggests skin on, bone in chicken thighs because the skin crisps up beautifully and also self-bastes the meat underneath. Using bone in meat is always a bonus because meat cooked on the bone has more flavor and juiciness thanks to the fact that bone in meat cooks more evenly, preventing meat from drying out. Boneless skinless chicken thighs are delicious as well though – I use them in a huge amount of recipes and you can easily use them here too.
Chicken thigh variations
What can I serve with oven baked chicken thighs?
Crispy oven baked chicken thighs
I love saucy, honey garlic mustard chicken, but I also love crispy baked chicken. If you’re a crispy chicken lover too, don’t worry, I’ve got you! Crispy baked chicken thighs are just as easy as regular baked thighs, all you do is add an extra crispy panko breadcrumb coating. Panko gives you super crispy crunchy skin and the honey garlic mustard marinade keeps the chicken extra juicy. Seriously good!
How to make CRISPY oven baked chicken thighs
- Season and marinate the thighs as per the recipe.
- Place 2 cups of panko in a large, shallow bowl.
- Take the chicken and dip it in the panko, pressing to adhere on all sides.
- Place the chicken on a lightly oiled wire rack set in a baking sheet and bake as per the recipe, for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
How do I reheat chicken thighs?
- In the microwave: place on a microwave safe plate and cover. Heat for 1 minute at a time until hot.
- In the oven: heat the oven to 325°F and place the chicken in an oven safe dish and cover with foil. Bake until warmed through.
Baked Chicken Thighs
Perfect pantry juicy baked chicken thighs
Baked Chicken Thighs
Amount Per Serving
Calories 255 Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3.9g24%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.