Pesto eggs will change your life.
If you’re a fan of pesto and eggs, pesto eggs are going to change your life. It’s so simple you’re going to think it’s incredibly silly, but the truth is, sometimes simple things are best! Pesto eggs are the best of both worlds: Italian flavors and breakfast.
Tiktok is super eggcitied (sorry not sorry!) about pesto eggs
Pesto eggs come to us via Amy Wilichowski – it’s her favorite way to make eggs and she shared it on Tiktok where it’s now going viral. All you do is take a couple spoonfuls of pesto, heat it in a hot pan, then add eggs. The eggs fry up in the pine-nutty, basil oil and get infused with all those delicious pesto flavors.
What do pesto eggs taste like?
If you love the flavors of pesto, you’ll love these guys. You get a huge fresh hit of basil, loads of garlic, cheesy parmesan, olive oil, and nutty toasted pine nuts. All the pesto flavors combine with the richness and crispiness of a fried egg. Finish it off with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt and chili flakes and you’ll be in breakfast heaven.
Pesto egg ingredients
Pesto and eggs: that’s it! If you’re wanting to fancy it up a bit, toast up a piece of sour dough, spread some ricotta on top, add some avocado, top it with the pesto egg, a drizzle of honey, and a sprinkle of chili flakes, and flaky sea salt.
Where to buy pesto
You can find pesto at the grocery store in the refrigerated section near the fresh pastas. If your grocery store doesn’t sell it, you can make it at home!
How to make fresh pesto:
- 1 large bunch of basil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
In a food processor (or you can chop everything by hand on a cutting board), pulse together the basil, garlic, pine nuts, and parmesan. Stream in 1/2 cup olive oil until the pesto is blended. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Pesto will keep in the fridge, covered for up to 5 days.
How to make pesto eggs
- Add a couple of tablespoons of pesto to a non-stick skillet. Spread it around and let the oil heat up.
- When the oil is hot, crack and egg (or two) into the pesto.
- Let the egg cook slowly until it’s at your desired doneness (don’t turn the heat up too high or the pesto will burn).
- Enjoy sprinkled with chili flakes and flaky sea salt!
How to make perfect sunny side up eggs
Sunny side up eggs are so happy. Who doesn’t love perfectly cooked whites with a runny, gloriously yellow yolk? The trick to making perfect sunny side up eggs is all in controlling the temperature.
- Take your eggs out of the fridge and let them come to room temp. They’ll cook faster and more evenly.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl to ensure that the yolk stays unbroken.
- Heat up the pan over medium heat with a bit of oil.
- When the oil is hot and shimmery, slowly pour the egg into the oil. The whites should turn opaque immediately.
- Turn the heat down and let the whites cook until solid, then slide a spatula under the egg, remove, and enjoy!
- keep the heat on low so the pesto doesn’t burn
- store bought pesto works but if you have the time, homemade pesto is insanely delicious!
- try the eggs scrambled instead of sunny side up
How to serve
If you love pesto, try these other pesto forward recipes!
- 1-2 tbsp pesto
- 1 large egg
Amount Per Serving
Calories 130 Calories from Fat 98
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2.6g16%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.