Let’s talk about cleaning bathrooms. While cleaning bathrooms isn’t fun, it’s necessary. Pair this task with a day of the week (Mondays) and my simple and effective method for speed cleaning bathrooms in 15 minutes (or less) and you’ll find that cleaning bathrooms isn’t so bad. When you thoroughly clean the bathrooms on Mondays and wipe counters as needed during the week (WIPE COUNTERS is a Daily Task), you’ll find that your bathrooms are clean all week long.
Why do I clean bathrooms on Mondays? After the weekend the bathrooms need a good cleaning, I’m not a fan of cleaning bathrooms so I get it out of the way right away, and it sets the tone for the week! It’s so easy, learn it and teach your family members so you all know the tricks!
If you’re new here, there are 4 parts to the Clean Mama Routine – I always recommend that you start with the DAILY TASKS and work your way to the MONTHLY FOCUS.
What’s the secret to the routine? CONSISTENCY – doing a little bit every day is what will help you take your home to the next level of clean. The Clean Mama Routine is intended to be done in the little moments that you have during the day – you know what to do because it’s on a schedule – it takes the guesswork out of trying to figure out what to clean and when to clean it.
Monday is a great day to start the Clean Mama Routine – we clean bathrooms and get them out of the way for the week.
I have a simple method to clean bathrooms quickly and I have it in the form of a checklist on the free printables page for you. Go here to grab it.
GATHER YOUR SUPPLIES AND TOOLS – HERE’S WHAT I KEEP IN MY CADDY:
- DIY CLEANING SPRAY or my ALL-PURPOSE SPRAY
- Hydrogen Peroxide – I put a SPRAYER on the bottle and use it for disinfecting
- CASTILE SOAP – squirt in the toilet and scrub or add to the sink scrub or Oxygen Whitener (below) for a little extra cleaning action
- SINK SCRUB – use this on tubs, showers, in the sink, toilet – anywhere you need a little scrubbing power
- OXYGEN WHITENER – sprinkle in toilets to whiten
- CLEANING CLOTHS – my preference for bathrooms is the Cleaning Cloth Kit because it includes a window cloth, all-purpose cloth, and a scrubbing cloth, of course, use what you prefer
- CLEANING CADDY – I use a large bucket with a handle so I can tote it from bathroom to bathroom
- GLASS SPRAY BOTTLES – my preference for DIY cleaners
- SCRUB BRUSH(ES) – I use a large surface scrubber and a detail brush in the bathrooms as needed for scrubbing tile and grout
QUICK TIP: Put your bathroom cleaning supplies in a Bathroom Cleaning Caddy. This is something I’ve been doing for probably close to 20 years – I love having bathroom cleaning caddies because you have all your supplies at the ready.
You can see all my favorites on my Favorites Page here.
QUICK CLEAN METHOD:
It doesn’t matter if you have 1 bathroom or 6, this method is the easiest and quickest way to get them all clean in a hurry. Even better? This isn’t fake cleaning or touching up – it’s complete and thorough cleaning. The first couple weeks will most likely take a little longer than 15 minutes, but once you get this technique down you’ll see how quick and easy it is.
Now that you know what you need, it’s time to CLEAN your bathrooms. Follow along on the checklist – you’ll notice that you aren’t vacuuming or washing the floors. This speeds up the process and if you’re cleaning all week long, you’ll see that on Wednesday we vacuum and on Thursday we wash floors. Once you do the routine for a couple weeks, you’ll see that this is so much more efficient and you don’t notice that you need to vacuum or wash your bathroom floors on Mondays when you clean bathrooms.
HERE ARE THE STEPS TO SPEED CLEAN YOUR BATHROOMS – these are the same steps in the free printable:
- Clear off counters and all surfaces.
- Spray cloth (don’t spray the mirrors) with glass cleaner and wipe any mirrors clean – keep this cloth handy and reuse in each bathroom.
- Thoroughly spray the sink, toilet, and tub or shower (if you don’t use a tub or shower regularly, you don’t need to clean it weekly) and quickly spray with your disinfecting cleaner.
- Use your preferred toilet cleaner and brush and do a quick clean of your toilet. I use a scoop of Oxygen Whitener and a squirt of Castile Soap, let it sit and come back and give it a little scrub. If you are new here and are wondering how I clean toilets, here’s how I naturally clean a toilet.
- Repeat these steps in each bathroom. Once you’ve done that, go back to the first bathroom.
- Wipe the sink, wipe the toilet, and wipe the tub or shower —take care to use a separate cloth or paper towel for each toilet and sink to avoid cross-contamination. I love the scrubbing cloth in the Cleaning Cloth Kit – it’s great for wiping up toothpaste and scrubbing off drips and spills.
- Place dirty cloths in a container or basket.
- Move on to wiping down the next bathroom and the next until you have quickly wiped down each bathroom.
- Change hand and bath towels.
Quick Tip: Save the floors for vacuuming and floor washing days. Give your tubs and showers a quick vacuum to get up any dust and to make it a little easier to wipe and scrub your tub and/or shower.
Why does this method work? You’re using an assembly line method – this speeds up the process, it keeps you on task and helps you to move quickly from one bathroom to the next. Once you repeat it for a couple Mondays you’ll find that it’s a quick and effective method to clean bathrooms. You might even look forward to cleaning them!
Looking for more Cleaning Inspiration?
Get Access to Clean Mama’s Free Quick Clean Printable
You’ll also get access to the entire free printable library!