There's nothing like a hearty bowl of chili when the weather starts to cool! Try this meat-free version!
For the ‘vegetable base’
- 1 cup walnuts
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 4 carrots cut into chunks
For the chili
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers deseeded, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz. can black bean drained
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- Place all the ‘vegetable base’ ingredients into a food processor and pulse until you achieve a chunky paste-like consistency. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté gently for 5-7 minutes until soft. Add the diced jalapeño peppers, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and soy sauce.
- Next add in the chunky vegetable paste and cook for 10 minute, until softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the tomatoes, beans, and water. Bring to the boil and then let it simmer on a low heat for around 45 minutes.
Serving suggestions: brown rice, sour cream or Greek yogurt, grated cheese, fresh parsley.