Vegan Potato Gratin
Your vegan friends will thank you for sharing this amazing potato gratin dish with them. Your non-vegan friends will love it too!
- 3 lbs. white potatoes
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 ⅔ cup almond milk unsweetened
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 ½ tbsp. white miso paste
- 4 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 sprigs rosemary leaves only
- 6 sprigs thyme leaves only
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Firstly, soak the cashews in boiling water for 1 hour, then add the almond milk and blitz to a smooth consistency. Add in the remaining sauce ingredients and blend again until smooth and creamy. Transfer the sauce into a large mixing bowl.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Then using a mandolin, or a very sharp knife, slice the potatoes evenly and place them in the bowl with the sauce. Mix well until the potatoes are well coated.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 7×10 inch deep sided baking dish.
- Arrange the potatoes tightly in the baking dish, then pour over the remaining sauce and tightly cover with kitchen foil.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 45 minutes, until the top is crispy and the potatoes are cooked through. Test the potatoes by piercing them with a sharp knife. Serve immediately.