Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 1 lb. medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 large green onions chopped
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 t. fresh ginger grated
- 2-3 T. red curry paste
- 1 13.5- oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 c. chicken or vegetable broth preferably organic
- 3 c. baby spinach roughly chopped
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 c. cooked rice
- Heat the coconut oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp turns pink and slightly opaque, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove shrimp from skillet and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the green onions, carrots, and bell pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies soften and develop a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and continue cooking just until fragrant, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add the curry paste, coconut milk, and the broth and stir until thoroughly combined. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, or until heated through.
- Stir in the spinach and simmer until wilted, approximately 2 minutes. Return the shrimp to the skillet and add the fresh lime juice and cilantro. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Serve immediately over steamed rice. Enjoy!
Total prep and cook time for this recipe is based on preparing the soup, only. Certain varieties of rice, such as white basmati or jasmine, can be prepared in under 30 minutes, while others, such as whole-grain brown rice, will take longer.