I will freely admit that I love cheese! The Caprese Salad is one of my favorites because you get big slabs of delicious cheese with every bite! It’s hard to beat the classic flavor combination of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. However, this version adds another dimension by adding a rich and syrupy balsamic glaze instead of straight vinegar to top it off. This, combined with a really good quality extra virgin olive oil, is all you need to make this classic shine!
This recipe is so simple, yet elegant. If you are having a formal dinner or even a cocktail party, your guests will be impressed with your culinary prowess!
Classic Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- 4 Large Ripe Tomatoes
- 12 Oz. Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Large Bunch Fresh Basil Washed and dried
- 3 Tbsp. High-quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Thoroughly wash and pat tomatoes and fresh basil dry. Slice tomatoes into evenly sized pieces, approximately ¼” thick, and set aside. Discard the bottom and top pieces. Slice fresh mozzarella into ¼” thick pieces, as well.
- On each plate, start with a tomato slice, followed by mozzarella and a large, fresh basil leaf. Repeat this pattern until you’ve added 1 tomato and approximately 3 oz. of mozzarella to each plate, finishing each arrangement with a tomato slice. Drizzle with high-quality extra virgin olive oil.
- To make the balsamic glaze, heat 1 cup of good balsamic vinegar over medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume, stirring continually. When the liquid becomes thick and syrupy, it is ready to use.
- Let glaze cool before drizzling over the fresh tomato, mozzarella and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with additional sprigs of fresh basil, if desired.
This dish is perfect year round, but is best whenever local tomatoes are in season. If you have a farmers’ market nearby and can get your hands on some gorgeous heirloom tomatoes and freshly made mozzarella, your taste buds will thank you!