This versatile, no-cook sauce can be enjoyed with many of your favorite pasta, fish, chicken, soup, or vegetable recipes.
Most modern recipes, including this one, call for making pesto with a food processor to combine the ingredients. This method works well, but produces a very homogenized final result.
For a more traditional approach, try hand-chopping the individual ingredients. The individual components will be less uniform, resulting in more distinct individual flavors among bites.
For a smooth consistency, I recommend using a high-quality blender like a Kitchen Ninja.
Fresh Basil Pesto
- 2 Cups Fresh Basil Loosely Packed
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2-3 Cloves garlic Peeled
- 1/3 Cup High-quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil Plus 2 Tbsp.
- 2/3 Cup Parmesan cheese Freshly Grated
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Remove basil leaves from stems, then wash and pat dry. Add basil, pine nuts, and peeled garlic gloves to food processor or blender.
- Quickly pulse until barely combined, then add 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil and blend thoroughly.
- Transfer to a medium glass bowl. Stir in Parmesan cheese and remaining olive oil to achieve the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.