Sweet and sticky, savory and garlicky, honey garlic chicken is always the answer when I don’t know what to make for dinner.
It’s the quickest dish to whip up and aside from the chicken, is a straight up pantry recipe. A side of greens and some fluffy rice and you’re set!
This is the best 5 ingredient back pocket recipe. Honey garlic is my jam: I can eat it on literally everything, including toast. It’s one of the easiest most flavorful sauces you can make at home and is a definite crowd pleaser.
How to make honey garlic chicken
- Cook the chicken. Lightly pat your chicken dry, season it on all sides with salt and pepper then cook it in a pan with a bit of oil. When it’s cooked through, it’s time to add the garlic.
- Cook the garlic. Add the garlic to the pan (add a bit of oil if the pan is dry) and cook until it’s soft but not brown and smells amazingly garlicky.
- Add the sauce. Stir in honey, soy sauce, and vinegar and let it bubble away and thicken, coating all the nooks and crannies of the chicken.
- Enjoy! Remove the chicken from the pan along with all the sauce and enjoy!
Honey garlic chicken ingredients
- chicken – I used bone in skin on thighs because I love how much flavor you get from bone in chicken and I love chicken skin! You can use literally any part of the chicken that is your favorite. I’ve included a handy cooking time chart just below.
- garlic – this is a garlicky honey garlic with 6 fresh cloves. You can add more or have less based on your garlic preferences. For me, the more garlic the better. Oh, and save yourself some time and get a garlic press, it’s a prep game changer!
- honey – mild, pure, 100% clover honey is what I reach for when cooking so the flavors don’t overwhelm the dish. Because we’re cooking the honey you don’t need raw honey, save that for your tea, toast, or oatmeal.
- vinegar – vinegar adds a bit of acid and tang to this sauce and balances it out so it’s not just all sweet. I like to use rice vinegar but you can sub white vinegar or white wine vinegar too.
- soy sauce – just a touch of soy sauce for umami and flavor. As always, use a soy sauce you love the flavor of and go for a naturally brewed soy sauce.
Pan-fried chicken cooking time chart
- boneless breast: 10-15 minutes, flipping as needed
- boneless thighs: 6-10 minutes, flipping as needed
- bone-in thighs: 20-25 minutes, flipping as needed
- drumsticks: 20-25 minutes, flipping as needed
- wings: 10-15 minutes, flipping as needed
Why you should make homemade honey garlic chicken
- super easy, barely an inconvenience
- making it at home means your chicken can be extra saucy
- you can customize it to your own taste with extra garlic or not too much garlic
- it’s faster than delivery
- the pure satisfaction of a home cooked meal
Honey Garlic Chicken
The best 5 ingredient back pocket recipe.
- Pat the chicken dry and season all sides with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium high and add a bit of oil. When hot, add the chicken, skin side down if using skin on chicken and cook, until golden and cooked through, flipping as needed. See chart for approximate cook times.
- When the chicken is cooked through, push the chicken to one side of the pan and add the garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant. Stir in the honey, vinegar, and soy sauce and let bubble and simmer, stirring. Coat the chicken in the sauce and let it thicken slightly. Remove from the pan, being sure to scoop up the extra sauce and enjoy!
Honey Garlic Chicken
Amount Per Serving
Calories 226 Calories from Fat 26
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 0.01g0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.