Flourless Carrot Cake
No flour, you say? Believe it! This carrot cake is unlike anything you’ve ever tried!
- 1 ½ cups toasted almonds unsalted
- 4 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. lemon zest grated
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup white caster sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch cake pan, and line it with parchment paper.
- Place the almonds and coconut sugar into a food processor and blend until finely ground. Add the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest, and mix again.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs until thick. Add the sugar, and continue to beat until the mixture is thick. Add in the vanilla extract, almond mixture, and carrots. Beat gently until combined.
- Transfer the cake batter into the pan and bake for one hour until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes, before removing it from the pan and allowing the cake to cool completely.
Storage: Once cooled, place the cake in an airtight container where it will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.