Without question, the addition of the salt-cured lemon slices is what elevates this recipe from bland to grand. The bright, briny flavor of the preserved lemon adds a fresh burst of flavor to an otherwise sedate dish. The lemons are really easy to make by pressing fresh lemon slices between 2 Himalayan salt blocks. Allow 2 days for the salt blocks to work their magic and you will be rewarded with a very tasty treat you’ll reach for again and again.
Citrus Cauliflower Kale Salad
- 1 Small Zucchini Washed, cut in half, uniformly sliced
- 1 Small Yellow Squash Washed, cut in half, uniformly sliced
- 1 Head Raw Cauliflower Florets only
- 4 Leaves Kale Stems and ribs removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 6-8 Leaves Fresh Basil Rolled, cut into thin strips
- 4-6 Slices White Balsamic Vinegar Finely chopped, including rinds
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries Optional
- 1/4 Cup High-quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Lemon Zest
- 2 tsp. Honey
- 2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- In a glass bowl, combine all vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined. If possible, make in advance to allow the flavors to mingle. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Set aside.
- Place zucchini, squash, cauliflower, and broccoli in a large microwave-safe dish and add 2 T. water. Cover and microwave on high for about 5 or 6 minutes, or until crisp tender. Cook times will vary by microwave, so test after 3 minutes and adjust cook time accordingly. Do not overcook. Set aside to cool.
- In a large glass bowl, add torn kale and drizzle with olive oil. With your fingers, massage each piece of kale with your fingers until the olive oil is worked into the leaf. This will soften the kale and improve its taste. Add cooled zucchini, squash, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, basil, chopped preserved lemon and cranberries to bowl. Toss to combine. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Right before serving, add desired amount of citrus vinaigrette and toss to coat thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.