One taste of this delicious dessert and you won’t believe it is both gluten and refined sugar free. The addition of fresh thyme adds a subtle savory note to the otherwise sweet flavor profile of this classic recipe.
Baked Cinnamon Apple Crisp
- 6 Large Apples cored, peeled, and sliced
- 1 T. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/3 Cup REAL Maple Syrup
- 2 T. 100% apple juice sugar free
- 1 t. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 t. Ground allspice
- 1 1/2 t Fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 t Salt
- 1 Cup Old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/3 Cup Almonds sliced
- 1/3 Cup Honey preferably local
- 3 T. Unsalted Butter melted
- 3 T. unsalted butter melted
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish and set aside.
- Place apples in a large non-reactive bowl and toss with fresh lemon juice. Add maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon, allspice, thyme leaves, and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Pour apple mixture into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well.
- Place into pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. If the top layer is nicely browned, cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes or until the apple crisp is nice and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Tip: Choose firm apples, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady (pictured), for this recipe. These varieties will hold up well to the heat of baking without turning to mush. Serve warm with some vanilla bean iced cream or freshly whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!