We are what we eat, that is an old saying and really it’s quite true. Eating healthy should start early in life, kids should be taught early on how to make healthy food choices so that as they grow those habits will stick with them. Many times people wait until it’s too late to take action, such as, after a heart attack that is due to poor diet and degrading heart health. Often, this happens from a lifetime of eating fatty foods that clog the heart arteries.
Macaroni and cheese is a satisfying meal that is enjoyed by a number of people; children included. It is therefore necessary to learn how to make it the healthier way because in its traditional state it is quite fattening. Choose whole grain pasta as it is higher in fiber beneficial for a healthier digestive system. Buy cheese that is low in fat and sodium. Cheese contains calcium necessary for strong teeth and bones.
In addition it contributes to the growth of healthy strong nails and shiny gorgeous hair.
Healthy Mac And Cheese Recipe
• 2 Pounds of Dry Whole Grain Pasta
• 1 tbs Salt
• 2 tbs Canola Oil
• 2 tbs Whole Wheat Flour
• 1 Cup of Low or Non Fat Milk
• A Cup of Skim Milk Shredded Cheddar Cheese
• 1 tbs of Nutmeg
In a large pot, put in enough water and a table spoonful of salt to cook your pasta giving it room to expand. Put in the pasta when the water boils and cook until tender. Set your flame to medium for best results. It should be cooked but not mushy (al-dente) in around 6-9 minutes. Test carefully with a folk to establish that it is cooked but chewy before straining the pasta. Return the pasta into the pot and keep warm.
- In a large pan put in 2 tablespoons of the Canola oil and heat.
- Add the flour and stir vigorously, it will thicken as you stir, creating the thickening agent.
- Slowly add in the cup of milk slowly and keep stirring as it thickens.
- Add in half a cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and allow it to melt.
- Incorporate the table spoonful of nutmeg.
- Pour the sauce onto the warm pasta and stir gently.
- On a warm serving plate sprinkle some of the shredded cheddar cheese and serve the pasta. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the pasta to watch it melt as you dig in into your macaroni and cheese.
Serve with a healthy salad.
Fast Healthy Mac And Cheese Recipe
There is another way of making your macaroni and cheese in one pot. This is a shortcut when you are tired, very hungry and need a quick healthy meal.
• 1 Large Onion Peeled and Diced
• 1 Garlic Clove – peeled, crushed and allowed to stand for a few minutes
• A Cup of Boiled Green Peas
• ½ a Cup Grated Carrots
• 2 tbs Canola Oil
• ½ a Cup Diced Tomatoes
• A Dash of Black Pepper
• ½ Cup Diced Bell Pepper
• 1 Cup Skim Shredded Cheddar
• 2 Pounds Whole Grain Pasta
- In a large pot add the Canola oil and heat before adding the onion.
- Add onion and stir to allow cooking evenly until soft.
- Now add in the garlic and allow light browning.
- Mix in your tomatoes, bell pepper and grated carrots and allow cooking for 3 minutes.
- Add in the dry pasta arranging it evenly on the cooking vegetables.
- Pour in hot water until it covers the pasta slightly.
- Keep stirring to prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Add in the boiled peas as you stir, keeping an eye on how much water is left in the pot.
- When it is almost absorbed add in the shredded cheese and allow melting. All the water is absorbed at this point.
- Add a dash of black pepper stir and serve on a warmed bowl.